File Photo

Wayne White
| Managing Editor

The Kansas Highway Patrol apprehended a 53-year-old Hawaii man near Quenemo Saturday after a high-speed pursuit that traveled through three counties.

According to the KHP, Terry Leroy Crable was eventually stopped by a moving train at a railroad crossing near 285th Street and Stubbs Road, where he was arrested by KHP Trooper E. C. Akins.

The KHP reported the chase began near the junction atempted to stop a white 2001 Ford Escort for failing to maintain a single lane of traffic and illegal window tint.

In an affidavit filed in Coffey County District Court, Akins reported that after he attempted to stop the vehicle, it pulled into the parking lot of the Beto Junction truck stop, circling the truck stop several times before heading back to I-35. Once on the interstate, the vehicle crossed the median and headed northbound. The vehicle exited I-35 at mile marker 170, heading north into Franklin County on gravel and dirt roads. Akins reported speeds reached 90 mph on the county roads.

Akins caught up with the fleeing vehicle at the railroad crossing where a southbound train had blocked the road. The trooper shot out the vehicle’s rear tire in an attempt to demobilize it, but the car continued rolling toward the train and around the activated crossbucks. Akins then broke out the driver’s side window with a baton and apprehended Crable.

A passenger in the vehicle, Dawn C. Knight, 55, was not arrested but was interviewed at the Coffey County Sheriff’s Office.

Akins reported an inventory of the vehicle’s contents revealed substances identified as marijuana and methamphetamine.

Crable was booked into the Coffey County Jail on complaints of felony fleeing and eluding, reckless driving, obstruction, no driver’s license, no proof of liability insurance, possession of controlled substances and possession of drug paraphernalia.

As of Tuesday, no formal charges had been filed against Crable and he remained in the Coffey County Jail without bond. According to the jail’s records, Crable listed Honolulu, Hawaii, as his hometown. Akins reported Crable initially gave his name as Sonne Isreal, but was positively identified by the FBI through fingerprints.

During the almost 30-minute chase, the KHP requested assistance from sheriff’s offices in Osage, Franklin and Coffey counties.